Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What 57 Bucks buys

A few nights ago was grocery night. I had not been to the store for almost 2 weeks. We were starting to run out of fresh fruits and veggies. I was amazed at how little I actually did need. I passed right through milk and breezed right past the meats.

I spent $57 dollars. Half of what I usually spend. I chalk it up to having a well stocked freezer and pantry, taking advantage of sales and buying more when I can.
Here's what $57 bucks bought.

Kashi Go Lean! cereal
sm box jello
lg box pudding
passover Matza
whole wheat pasta
2 gallons of water
4 seltzers
Ovaltine drink mix
juice
4 individual baking potatoes (i don't have room to store a whole bag right now.)
1 VERY large tub of organic lettuce
2 quarts of strawberries
3 100% fruit roll ups
pint of alfalfa sprouts
bag of organic spinache
pint of organic grape tomatoes
2 bags frozen organic green beans
quart of organic Kefir (we did buy a little dairy)
2 pounds of butter (on sale, 1 for the freezer)
6pack organic yogurt
16oz sour cream

I don't know whether I should be proud or embarassed. When you write it all out like that it doesn't look like much, but it was mostly organics and name brand items. I'm sure I could do better and many do. I could make my own kefir, yogurt, and sour cream and I could buy more generic store brand stuff. I do notice a taste difference on some things so I stick to brand names on those.

How bout you? what does $57 bucks buy?

0 comments: