Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Can I have your attention please?


Will the real men and women of God please stand up?!

I am feeling a bit sick to my stomach. Why?
Last year one of the ministries that I have admired for years announced that their head ministry guy had fallen into sin. I felt completely gobsmacked.
Disappointed.
Angry that once again, one of "us" had crossed the line.

My first reaction was to pray. Yes, God could restore him. Restore his marriage and, indeed, bring him into repentance. As the months wore on, however, it became quite clear to me that all those things that I had seen before as flaws in this man were indeed the result of his demise and that there would be no restoration taking place.

Rumors flew. Speculation soared. I received a few updates from the ministry leadership, at first sounding optimistic and then sounding more and more regrettable about the conduct of all those involved. Apparently, those closest to this man let the ball drop. They let things slip, and given an inch, he (or rather the enemy working through his life) took a mile.

I still feel sick.

Today, what sickens me most is that now, less than a year later I find videos of "restoration" coming out of another leader of the churches ministry website. Yes, the fallen minister has quickly divorced and remarried and now expects to be back into public ministry.

What ever happened to integrity? What ever happened to sticking things out through thick and thin? What happened to walking the walk, not just talking the talk?!!!

I've made it no secret that my own marriage was in ruins (for a few years.)

But God.

Those most 2 powerful words I've ever written in my life. But God turned my heart. He changed me, and in softening me, I was able to forgive and move on. I can hardly believe it. If I, a mere "everyday" christian, can walk that difficult road to marital restoration, anyone can. I'm tired of people taking the easy way out. My road was a long difficult and stony one.

I never wanted it to be said about me that I am a hypocrite. I've seen hypocrisy, and quite frankly, I detest it. The idea of calling oneself a Christian and yet living a sloppy reckless life is vile.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying as Christians we never sin again. Not at all. What I am saying is: When you know better, you do better. One doesn't purposely sin knowing that God's grace will cover it.

Paul said it best.
" What shall we say then? SHALL WE CONTINUE IN SIN, THAT GRACE MAY ABOUND?
God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that HENCEFORTH WE SHOULD NOT SERVE SIN.
For he that is dead is freed from sin.
"
-Romans 6:1-7

And lest you think I'm just picking on divorced people here, let me just say that I do understand that there are times that no matter what one person wants, it takes 2 people to reconcile. Besides, I'm not just talking about divorce!

Sin is sin.

It's nothing to wallow around in because you will get your clothes dirty. Non believers will see the stains that you have all over your clothes that you try to deny. It's very cliche, but you truly are the only Bible some people will ever read. Keep the pages as clean as possible.

I also understand that there are some things that are very hard to overcome, nevertheless, pick yourself back up when you fall, ask God for his forgiveness and keep walking.

I'm sick of Christians living their lives just like everyone else!

Be people of integrity!

Will the real men and women of God PLEASE STAND UP!

0 comments: